This program is proudly partened with
The 2018 Program is currently running
Program Coordinator: Ellen Gordon
The HAS tennis program is closely aligned with Northumberland Region Tennis/Tennis NSW and will act as a stepping stone for athletes to make the transition between being a successful club and school athlete, to that of a senior athlete who will be part of experiences such as, state and national representative teams, and state and national competition. It is part of a broader group of regional academies that would serve a similar purpose, helping feed talent development programs at a state and national level.
We do not want to compete with your home coach, but rather provide education that may otherwise unavailable to the local club.
Program will look as follows:
Education & Training Component
April 7th - Orientation
- Functional movement screening
- Strength & Conditioning
- Yoga and Spin session
May 12th – Newcastle
- Functional movement screening follow up, identifying weakness, strengthening programs
- Hitting Session
- Sports Psychology – goal setting, anxiety over coming adversity
June 2nd/3rd – Wyong
- Tennis Australia run training event
- Pathway management advice
- Tennis Australia drills and strategy
- Tennis Australia Coaches
7-9th September - High Performance NSW Academy of Sport training camp
- Northern Inland, North Coast, Far West Academy squads in attendance
3rd- 4th November – Teams event training session – Venue TBC
- Final session
- Functional movement screening final with results
- Tournament style round robin event in teams format
We will form a travelling squad and compete as a team at the following events:
At each tournament we will have a team area allocated and our head squad manager will conduct team warm-ups, team support, advice on tournament strategy, nutrition through the days etc.
- Academy games / 2018 Forster Jnr Open Grom JT
- Entry fees covered by HAS
- Country Champs – Forster
- Entry fee covered by HAS
- TopSpin AMT/JT Newcastle
- Cessnock JT Bronze
All athletes will also receive a 12 month gym membership to Planet Fitness and will have opportunities to join regular Yoga, Pilates, spin and general classes through-out the year.
The following benefits will apply to those selected in the program:
- training sessions to further develop skills;
- targeted event competition;
- access to a network of specialised coaches;
- personal development/athlete education sessions
- strength & conditioning/FMS program.
- Age group: 12-18 years (born between 2000-2006);
- Both male and female;
- Reside* within the Hunter Region and **Northumberland Region;
- Attend school within the Hunter Region/Northumberland Region;
- Financial member/registered with Tennis NSW;
- Currently competing at regional level
* If you reside outside of the Hunter Region/Northumberland Region and your regional academy does not offer a tennis program, you are eligible to apply for the HAS program. ** Northumberland Region covers the area from Gosford through to the Upper Hunter Region and Dungog.
2018 Hunter Academy of Sport Tennis Squad